What is Ewing’s Sarcoma?
This rare cancer of the soft tissues and bones is rounded, a small blue-cell tumor which is malignant in nature. Ribs, clavicles, femur, pelvis and the humerus bones are the most common bones to be affected by Ewing’s sarcoma.
This cancer typically affects the male population slightly more than their female counterparts and targets those in their teens as well as the young adults. The most common cause of Ewing’s sarcoma is a translocation mechanism that occurs between chromosome 11 and 22.
Most patients present with a small mass on the diaphyses of their femoral bones, whereas some can also present it with such mass on their tibia or fibula. Ewing’s sarcoma may either produce symptoms such as easy fracture of the affected bone, fever, bone pain anemia and leukocytosis; or it may be found incidentally.
Among the primary bone sarcomas, Ewing’s sarcoma makes up to 16% of the cases. It is quite an aggressive tumor, and about 30 percent of the cases at the time presentation are found to possess hidden metastasis.
Curcumin is the active ingredient of Indian spice, turmeric. Though turmeric has traditionally been used in the Indian Ayurvedic Medicine for centuries, recent research on its biological activity has brought it into the limelight in the current era. Chemosensitization has been observed in cancers of the breast, colon, pancreas, gastric, liver, blood, lung, prostate, bladder, cervix, ovary, head and neck, and brain and multiple myelomas, leukemia, and lymphoma. (2) studies have shown that administration of curcumin in Ewing’s sarcoma can produce cell cycle arrest, natural cell death, and can suppress formation of colonies of the cancer cells. (3) Curcumin has been shown to have anti-cancer activities such as inhibition of cell multiplication, inducing death on such cells and suppressing the formation of new blood vessels for cancer cells. (4) Curcumin is not only effective in eliminating the cancer cells. It also works effectively against the cancer stem cells – CSCs – which are the primary cells giving rise to cancer cells. (5) Curcumin significantly caused radiation-induced expression of genes and enzymes; curcumin caused radiation-induced apoptosis and DNA fragmentation. Curcumin enhanced radiation-induced cell toxicity and clonal expansion in Ewing sarcoma. (6) Curcumin works by inducing cell death in the cancerous cells in addition to affecting the multiple enzyme pathways. (7)
Melatonin has no relevant side effects. It has synergisms with several chemotherapeutic drugs in Ewing’s sarcoma cells by potentiating the extrinsic pathway of apoptosis- cell death. The initiation of cell death process by melatonin in several human malignant blood cell lines was reported in one study. (8) It was found that melatonin induces cell death in the Ewing’s sarcoma cell line, by activating the extrinsic apoptotic pathway. (9) It was also found that there is a synergy in the anti-tumor effect when melatonin is combined with anti-cancer drugs. This synergism is due to the potentiating of cell death, particularly to the potentiation of apoptosis, i.e., mainly the extrinsic apoptotic pathway. The results emphasized the facts that: (i) treatment with melatonin has been reported with no significant untoward effects, and (ii) this form of therapy has cytoprotective effects on non-cancerous cells. (10)
- Rice bran:
Our body constantly develops cells with abnormal DNAs, which are targeted and killed by natural killer cells, one of the most important immune cells of the human body. Patients with Ewing’s sarcoma can benefit from natural agents that promote the working of these very cells in the body, which in turn can aid in decreasing the tumor size.
In rice milling, rice bran comes out as a by-product that has several medicinal properties. Firstly, it is an antioxidant that can protect body cells from the harmful effects of free radical species. Secondly, rice bran is a dietary fiber which is loaded with certain useful fatty acids, proteins, starch, vitamins and minerals.
A compound called Arabinoxylan (MGN-3 Bio brand) makes an important constituent of rice bran. Genius minds have discovered that MGN-3 can stimulate natural killer cell activity in patients with Ewing’s sarcoma. This natural component has also been observed to produce anti-tumor effects in hepatocellular and breast cancer cases when used along with conventional therapies. 
Induction of arabinoxylan to conventional cancer therapies has shown to bring about a positive influence on the stimulation of NK-cells. This synergistic effect can be effective against acute leukemia, neuroblastoma, rhabdomyosarcoma and Ewing’s sarcoma. A significant inhibition of growth in neuroblastoma cancer cells has also been observed with the use of MGN03 along with conventional treatment. 
Natural treatments for Ewing’s sarcoma as those mentioned above in this article have been found from evidence provided by related research works. Your health care provider best knows about your condition and hence, you must first consult them before adapting any synergistic or alternative treatment.
- Cesium therapy in cancer patients. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1984;21 Suppl 1:11-3.
- Curcumin, the golden spice from Indian saffron, is a chemosensitizer and radiosensitizer for tumors and chemoprotector and radioprotector for normal organs. Nutr Cancer. 2010;62(7):919-30. doi: 10.1080/01635581.2010.509835.
- Cell cycle inhibition and apoptosis induced by curcumin in Ewing sarcoma cell line SK-NEP-1. Med Oncol. 2010 Dec;27(4):1096-101. doi: 10.1007/s12032-009-9341-6. Epub 2009 Oct 27.
- Effects of alpha-hederin and thymoquinone, constituents of Nigella sativa, on human cancer cell lines. (J Cancer Res Clin Oncol. 2012 Nov 16. [Epub ahead of print].
- Effects of curcumin on stem-like cells in human esophageal squamous carcinoma cell lines. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2012 Oct 24;12:195. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-12-195..
- Curcumin-altered p53-response genes regulate radiosensitivity in p53-mutant Ewing’s sarcoma cells. Anticancer Res. 2010 Oct;30(10):4007-15.
- Curcumin potentiates the antitumor effects of 5-FU in treatment of esophageal squamous carcinoma cells through downregulating the activation of NF-κB signaling pathway in vitro and in vivo. Acta Biochim Biophys Sin (Shanghai). 2012 Oct;44(10):847-55..
- Regulation of the expression of death receptors and their ligands by melatonin in haematological cancer cell lines and in leukaemia cells from patients. J Pineal Res. 2011 Apr;50(3):345-55. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-079X.2010.00850.x. Epub 2011 Feb 24.
Dr. Adem Gunes